The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ASPA- how to record?

Guest momof3

The previous secretery took very detailed minutes. In last year's minutes (we meet monthly) there was a resignation of an employee and a termination of another employee. Rather than stating that John resigned from his position, and Jane's employment was terminated, there is lots of detail as to why this had occurred. Recently, there was a motion to amend something previously adopted in order to protect the company seeing as that this is a personnel issue and that the information is included in the personnel files. The motion passed easily, but I"m having a difficult time understanding how I am to amend those minutes. Making a note on the side margins seems to be what I'm finding, but it leaves the detail in there-which is what we were trying to avoid. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help! :)

Looks to me as though the previous secretary wrote waaaay too much in the minutes. They should contain only what was done, not what was said - see RONR p. 468 ff. So don't include any more "why"s, "wherefore"s, and the like in your minutes!

As for your specific question: the current minutes should contain the text of the ASPA motion you adopted at that most recent meeting, but you, in the normal situation, do not make any changes in the old minutes. A marginal note in the old minutes can be helpful, but is not required by RONR. This, of course, doesn't solve your basic too much information problem.

The motion to "Rescind and Expunge", p. 310 may be partially helpful, although it requires a rather substantial vote to approve. You certainly don't have to "publish" the portions of the old minutes that contain the unfortunate information, once it has been rescinded and expunged, but in this litigious age (I'm not a lawyer, so go check with one about this point) changing or deleting material from the original text of old and previously approved minutes (even material that shouldn't have been there in the first place) can get you in all sorts of trouble in the legal sphere.

But if you get sued, they're gonna subpoena your personnel records anyway (can they? Ask a lawyer) so it may not matter if some of the personnel information is in the minutes too.

The motion to "Rescind and Expunge", p. 310 may be partially helpful, although it requires a rather substantial vote to approve. You certainly don't have to "publish" the portions of the old minutes that contain the unfortunate information, once it has been rescinded and expunged . . .

Let's remember that, in RONR-Land, adopting a motion to rescind and expunge doesn't expunge anything. The offending text is left entirely readable with merely a thin line drawn through (or around) it.

The previous secretery took very detailed minutes. In last year's minutes (we meet monthly) there was a resignation of an employee and a termination of another employee. Rather than stating that John resigned from his position, and Jane's employment was terminated, there is lots of detail as to why this had occurred. Recently, there was a motion to amend something previously adopted in order to protect the company seeing as that this is a personnel issue and that the information is included in the personnel files. The motion passed easily, but I"m having a difficult time understanding how I am to amend those minutes. Making a note on the side margins seems to be what I'm finding, but it leaves the detail in there-which is what we were trying to avoid. Suggestions?

Yeah... if the intent of the adopted motion was to make the troublesome material disappear from the old minutes, then the assembly has adopted a motion to do the impossible (by the rules in RONR, anyway). Making the assembly understand this may be difficult, depending on their degree of respect for the parliamentary authority.

Thank you all for your help. Pretty sad that it passed in the first place...and yes, I'm doing my best to avoid all he said she saids...all of you on the forums have been a big help as I'm learning. Been a stay at home mom who likes to knit, so as my hubby said...this is a good opportunity for me to grow.(.since I would normally avoid business stuff like the plague LOL! ) Although I do think that some of it is just common sense not to include-and hopefully I have more of that than the secretary prior to me :) Bought RONR and the Idiots guide, so between the books and the forums, I feel pretty supported :) Thanks again

The "Idiots Guide" is, I think, more or less OK, but the best simplification/summary of the rules is ...

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

I trust when you bought RONR you indeed bought "The Right Book". There are other books around with similar titles that are rip-offs. You can order RONRIB from the same linked page.

And it won't protect the company or the persons involved if some litigation does occur, and you are accused of destroying evidence. Better leave it alone and do better in the future.

Archived