The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who should appoint committees?

help_wanted

I am a school board member, and I need some guidance. The superintendent of our school typically appoints committee members for various actions that are (according to him) random employees of the school. He recently appointed a committee to recommend names for the athletic director position for the school (from a long list of applicants), and there were some concerns that the appointed members of the committee were not very well qualified to choose an athletic director (one appointee was a relatively new employee of the school, another was the wife of another board member, etc...).

This particular issue has already been closed (fortunately with no hard feelings toward anyone, and hopefully with a sound decision of the committee and board approval), but is this appropriate on the part of the superintendent, and if not, what can we do as a board to avoid this being a problem in the future? Should the board itself nominate and vote on members of committees, or have the superintendent recommend nominations, or something different altogether? I have ordered my Robert's Rules of Order book but I have not yet received it, so I was hoping for some guidance in the meantime.

I personally am impartial on what should be done, but it seems that the superintendent could appoint anyone in agreement with him, rather than using the judgement of the 7 member board to decide who should help in making such big decisions (or at least making recommendations). I only see problems coming from the superintendent taking it upon himself to appoint these committees...

I'll find our for sure whether or not there is an adopted rule allowing him to do so, but not to my knowledge. Thanks a lot for the help. He may not like it, but I don't think it will cause any serious problems to inform him that it is not in line for him to do so.

The Board could create the committee on their own intiative or at his request and solicit input from him on who should be a member of it......no need to leave him totally out of the process if you want some middle ground here.

Archived