The Official RONR Q & A Forums

details in public minutes about reason for in camera meeting

Guest mark

Hi

What details are needed to be provided in the public minutes as to why we went in camera? Can we just say we have the right under bylaw .....?

Or do we have to give more information, say we are doing staff performance reviews for Jim and Sallie, or we are going to be discussing real estate acquisition?

Thanks

About the only way there would be more specific requirements is if you are a public body, subject to your state's Sunshine Laws, which may prescribe that the motion to go into executive session must include additional information, such as the reason.

Sunshine laws often limit the reasons why a body may go into executive session; RONR does not. So this would make it a matter that goes beyond the rules in RONR, and the purview of this forum.

If any of this applies to your question, consult your body's attorney for details on how the motion must be phrased.

It could read like this:

"The assembly went into executive session at 8:42 PM."

You should note that the assembly came out of executive session.

Is there anything in RONR that requires noting the time the assembly went into executive session (serious question)? I've looked around a bit, and haven't found anything yet that states this requirement. When other sorts of motions are made, the time of adopting the motion isn't put into the minutes... except for adjourning the meeting, I guess.

Is there anything in RONR that requires noting the time the assembly went into executive session (serious question)? I've looked around a bit, and haven't found anything yet that states this requirement. When other sorts of motions are made, the time of adopting the motion isn't put into the minutes... except for adjourning the meeting, I guess.

I would probably treat it as I would a recess. I think either would be important for completeness or clarity (p. 470., #7). I would include some type of change of session in that, but it is not straight out specified.

Archived