The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Bill

Our secretary has been presented with petitions to present at out agm. The rest of the board has not seen the petitions as she has not shared them with us. We have no idea what they are. Can these petitions be present at the agm?

Our secretary has been presented with petitions to present at out agm. The rest of the board has not seen the petitions as she has not shared them with us. We have no idea what they are. Can these petitions be present at the agm?

Since I too have no idea what they are, it's impossible to give a specific answer.

I can, however, tell you that RONR has no requirement that the board be made aware of any business to come before the assembly of the organization.

What you're calling a petition may be a motion or resolution (a proposal that certain action be taken). Any member may make a motion, whether or not the board has seen it and regardless of how the board feels about it.

Yes... but probably not as "petitions" as such, unless your bylaws describe what "petitions" are, what "powers" they might have, how the association is supposed to respond to them, and the like.

What can happen, is in the "New Business" portion of your AGM, any individual may move whatever resolution(s) or motion(s) are embedded in those petitions. In debate, the individual can point out that he has lots (?) of support based on the number of petition signatures.

Whatever they are you can't object to their consideration if it comes from a superior body.

It sounds as though they are coming from members. Where did you get this idea of a superior body being involved?

If you mean that the board can't object at a general-membership meeting, you're right. However, it couldn't object at a meeting of a committee that's subordinate to the board, either.

If you mean a member can't Object to the Consideration of a Question, it depends on whether it is an original main motion or an incidental main motion. I'm still unclear on your meaning of the superior body.

It sounds as though they are coming from members. Where did you get this idea of a superior body being involved?

If you mean that the board can't object at a general-membership meeting, you're right. However, it couldn't object at a meeting of a committee that's subordinate to the board, either.

If you mean a member can't Object to the Consideration of a Question, it depends on whether it is an original main motion or an incidental main motion. I'm still unclear on your meaning of the superior body.

I was just teasing since RONR doesn't define what a petition is, but mentions under the motion to object to the consideration of a question. Next time I'll use a smiley........ >>>>>>>>>>>>> :) Time for a picnic....you need to relax and join us!

As the Board is not officially present at the AGM (if they are members of the organization, then they would be there in their capacity as general members - if they are not members then they would be there as guests.) The President/Chairman and the Secretary are only there to handle their responsibilities (i.e. Chairing the meeting, and taking the Minutes. So it does not matter if the rest of the Board sees the petitions as they won't be at the meeting in their capacity as the Board anyway.

The petitions could be brought up under "New Business" - but unless the By-laws of the organization give any powers to petitions then the petitions can be either accepted or rejected or totally ignored.

Archived