The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special meeting by residents of HOA to vote off board members

Guest lori

Thanks for the quick response. I believe we have carefully checked the by-laws and are proceeding with a formal petition, posting, establish quorum etc.

Unfortunately I am new to these rules

of order and other experienced members will guide the meeting. I was also wondering if the board members will be controlling the meeting, call to order etc. or if residents will be in control. This is a sticky situation and the board is doing everything they can to stay in power.

The "Board" as such will not be meeting - the HoA members, the association, will be meeting. Board members may be at the meeting, but they will be there as association members, nothing else.

Normally the President would call the meeting to order, but if he/she (and the VP) don't show up, then the Secretary calls the meeting to order, and runs an election for a Chairman pro tem. See p. 453.

If you have time get a copy of...

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

You can order it here.

Thanks for the quick response. I believe we have carefully checked the by-laws and are proceeding with a formal petition, posting, establish quorum etc.

of order and other experienced members will guide the meeting. I was also wondering if the board members will be controlling the meeting, call to order etc. or if residents will be in control. This is a sticky situation and the board is doing everything they can to stay in power.

Have you also checked the bylaws to see if you can remove board members by simply voting them off? No matter how carefully you follow the rules for properly calling the special meeting, that won't matter if you are not following the rules for disciplinary action.

At a meeting of the Membership, the "Board" as such will not exist. It exists as an entity capable of action only when it (not some other body) is in session, i.e., at board meetings.

The presiding officer may be the same in both cases, but the body meeting is not the Board, but rather the Membership. In organizations where board members are not necessarily Members of the society (unusual, but possible) the board members who aren't Members cannot attend.

Archived