The Official RONR Q & A Forums

abuse of power by vice president to a board member

Guest Veronica Rangel

Guest Veronica Rangel

in our booster club for a high school football team, our vice president is quiet abusive in the manner she refers to me and other members of our board. No one has made mention of it so far, but I intend to do so in our next meeting. we are being talked down to and often yelled at like little kids, she also snaps her fingers at us. I need anyone's advice of what i can do or say

in our booster club for a high school football team, our vice president is quiet abusive in the manner she refers to me and other members of our board. No one has made mention of it so far, but I intend to do so in our next meeting. we are being talked down to and often yelled at like little kids, she also snaps her fingers at us. I need anyone's advice of what i can do or say

Unless this is happening at a meeting, it does not violate a rule in RONR. "Talking down" or yelling in debate are not necessarily violations of decorum.

Unless this is happening at a meeting, it does not violate a rule in RONR. "Talking down" or yelling in debate are not necessarily violations of decorum.

Well, if she is yelling "at" other members in debate, then I'd say it is.

Raising one's voice itself is not itself a violation, but during debate, remarks must be addressed to the chair, not to another member. That is, she can yell "about" you, but not "at" you.

As soon as she starts, raise a point of order, and ask that the member be reminded to address her remarks to the chair. Don't be surprised if that restriction cramps her ability to talk down to you without actually talking to you.

Archived