The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a chair override a vote of board

Guest Deedoe

Please forgive my ignorance. I, like many here, are new to RONR. We have an important meeting tonight and I'm trying to find out my options just in case.

If the board votes to approve a motion, can the chairperson override that approval if they disagree?

Thank you for your input!

Certainly not! Unless you have some very unusual bylaws that would give the chair such unfair power.

What the chair can do before any discussion or vote takes place is to rule the motion out or order if it would violate some rule of procedure or the bylaws themselves. But that ruling must be based upon interpretation of the rules, and not on the chair's opinion of the merits of the motion.

And that ruling is subject to appeal by any two members (mover and seconder) with a majority required to overturn the chair's decision.

The Chairman cannot overrule a vote of the Board unless the By-laws allow him to do so (which they should not.)

The only way for the Chairman to stop a motion is to rule it out of order if there is a legal reason why the motion should not be considered. Even then, the Board could overrule the decsion through an appeal. And the ruling that a motion is out of order would occur when the motion is made, not when the motion has been voted on.

Archived