The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members oversight of the board

SaintCad

My understanding is that a Board is ultimately subordinate to the full membership and handles the regular business of the body between regular meetings. However, most of the questions I read in this forum about Boards are when they are charge of the organization and the regular membership is along for the ride. I know that a regular member has few if any rights at Board Meeting but do the members have the right to compel the Board to follow the rules if they notice that the Board is not following them? This could be at the meeting or between the meetings.

At what meeting? If at a Board meeting, there is nothing that a non-Board member can do at that moment. If it is at a membership meeting, where the Board member is either there as a general member (if a member of the organization) or as an invited guest (if not a member of the organization) the options vary. If the Board member is a member of the organization, then he/she could be disciplined. If a guest, he/she could be asked to leave the meeting.

Regardless, members could always launch disciplinary action against a Board member (or a group of Board members) if necessary. Check the By-laws of the organization to see if there are any disciplinary options available there, or read Chapter XX of RONR.

Archived