The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on Motions

popkruse

If a motion is made to approve a scenario and the vote is tied. It defaults to the original motion and should be approved? Or can the chairman deny the motion?

I don't follow this. Was the scenario an amendment to the original motion?

So I'm not sure about the first question. And the chairman doesn't pick and choose: if a motion is in order, he must entertain it, while if it is improper, he must rule it out of order, and state his reasons for thinking so (which reasoning goes into the minutes).

Guest Tracy crawford

It was a motion to approve a sales license for an individual. There were 12 votes. 6 yes 6 no. The chairman decided it was his right to deny the original motion to approve. The discussion during this process was that according to Roberts rules, the original motion is to approve therefore it should have been approved. Is that right?

If a motion is made to approve a scenario and the vote is tied. It defaults to the original motion and should be approved? Or can the chairman deny the motion?

It would be best if you didn't ask your "new" question as part of someone else's. That way we (and you) aren't trying to make sense out of mixed answers. So if you return to the General Forum and click the black Start New Topic button and try again, we can better focus on your question. And you might need to elaborate a bit more so we can understand what you're really asking about.

It was a motion to approve a sales license for an individual. There were 12 votes. 6 yes 6 no. The chairman decided it was his right to deny the original motion to approve. The discussion during this process was that according to Roberts rules, the original motion is to approve therefore it should have been approved. Is that right?

Since I have not seen Guest_Crawford reappearing with his/her own thread, I'll add the comment that a tie vote defeats a motion (the chair didn't have to do any deciding to make that happen). Perhaps some of the participants in the 'discussion' were confused about the tie vote rule in RONR, and got it backward.

Archived