The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to table

Guest mike

Can use give us some more detail here please? Firstly, the issue should not have been tabled - tabling a motion rarely occurs and only when something more pressing has to be dealt with. Secondly, there is no reason to recuse yourself from the meeting unless the By-laws state that they have to under the situation.

Can i recuse myself and on what grounds?

RONR says that a member should abstain from voting on a motion when the member has a personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members, but that the member cannot be compelled to refrain from voting. It doesn't sound quite like this is your situation, but RONR also states that a member has the right to abstain from voting, as well as the right to vote. It's up to you. Vote or abstain, as you see proper.

Can i recuse myself and on what grounds?

Firstly, the term "recuse" is not found in RONR and, in any event, is probably not applicable in your situation.

Secondly, whatever you may mean by "recuse" (leaving the room? remaining but not engaging in debate? not voting?), you don't need any grounds. As indicated, it's up to you.

Archived