The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of executive

Guest jean

We have a non profit society. In February three members of the board resigned at the same time - the President, Board Secretary and a director. They were not replaced.

The vice president assumed the position of president. She has one more term to serve before stepping down.

The AGM will be held in a week's time. The bylaws state that after electing new members to the board at the AGM, the board will meet to elect its executive.

My questions is - does the vice president keep the position she stepped into and the position of vice president is filled OR does the board start afresh and elect all executive positions?

My questions is - does the vice president keep the position she stepped into and the position of vice president is filled OR does the board start afresh and elect all executive positions?

The former vice-president (the current president) would normally serve the remainder of the president's term of office. The fact that two different people may have served during that time does not affect the length of the term.

Your rules may vary.

We have a non profit society. In February three members of the board resigned at the same time - the President, Board Secretary and a director. They were not replaced.

The vice president assumed the position of president. She has one more term to serve before stepping down.

The AGM will be held in a week's time. The bylaws state that after electing new members to the board at the AGM, the board will meet to elect its executive.

First, I presume that when you say "one more term to serve before stepping down" you're referring to a term limit in your bylaws, i.e., that she is eligible to serve an additional term if she gets elected to one.

What would happen if the old president were still in office? It looks as though your bylaws would require a new officers election every time a new board election takes place.

If that is the case, which is a pretty common way of doing it, then the officer positions are up for election as usual. The fact that the new president achieved the office through succession makes no difference whatsoever. She might be (re)elected, or she might not.

Archived