The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board member/ report in personnel file of employee

Guest Bridgette

I'm an Executive Officer on a 15 member BOD. This board hires and fires the Business Representatives.

Recently, I received a call from a member distressed over something they heard pertaining to the Business Rep being absent from the office on a workday.

I sent the BR an email and asked if in fact he was going to be away from office and who authorized it.

I also said " this will notify you that if you are not in the office a note with this information will be placed in your personnel file"

We have nothing in our bylaws that addresses employee problems. And this employee has no supervisor in the office.

Do I have the right to place a note of this infraction in his personnel file?

It's never happened before, so it's new territory.

Thanks

Nothing in RONR would grant you the authority to do so but I suspect that your question doesn't really have anything to do with RONR which pretty much means that this forum isn't going to be of much help. But let's put it this way, if the BR asks you under what authority you think you can put the information in his file will you have a legitimate source of authority to cite?

Also, just as a suggestion it isn't a good idea to take that type of action when you later are having to ask "Do I have the right to place a note of this infraction in his personnel file?" :)

Archived