The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voice vote compared to secret ballot

Guest Lisa C

My question is - I have read our By-Laws and no where does it state that new members being voted on must be completed by secret ballot, but some of our members stated that it is required by Roberts Rule of Order. Which would be correct.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

....some of our members stated that it is required by Roberts Rule of Order.

In the future, when you hear such comments, ask the speaker to show you where in (the current edition of) RONR it says what he says it says. He may be right, and show you the page. Good for him. But dollars to donuts he's bluffing or puffing, and more often than not it will come to nothing.

In the future, when you hear such comments, ask the speaker to show you where in (the current edition of) RONR it says what he says it says. He may be right, and show you the page. Good for him. But dollars to donuts he's bluffing or puffing, and more often than not it will come to nothing.

Often, members will ascribe their custom to a rule found in RONR, because if "we've always done it that way", we must have done it that way because RONR said to do it that way.

Given what they're voting for, I would recommend the assembly order a ballot vote, since it might bring about a truer expression of the voter's will. Voting no to someone's admission by voice might be uncomfortable for many.

Normally if its a member that the President knows the membership will vote "yes" on - he will ask for a voice vote. If its someone that he is unsure off - the secret ballot is required. Again, thanks everyone for the responses.

Normally if its a member that the President knows the membership will vote "yes" on - he will ask for a voice vote. If its someone that he is unsure off - the secret ballot is required. Again, thanks everyone for the responses.

But it's not required under RONR......just so you're clear on that. He doesn't get to make that call.....the members do.

Archived