The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Newly Elected President unable to take position

Guest Mary

Two candidates ran for the position of President in our union. The person who won has taken a personal leave for a year prior to the official date that the new term begins. Does the position default to the other candidate or is a special election required?

Two candidates ran for the position of President in our union. The person who won has taken a personal leave for a year prior to the official date that the new term begins. Does the position default to the other candidate or is a special election required?

You will need a vacancy before you can fill it. If and when the president's resignation is accepted, unless your bylaws specifically say otherwise for the office of president in particular, the vice-president (if you have one) will automatically become president.

This will create a vacancy in the office of the vice-president, which will have to be filled in accordance with any provisions in your bylaws that address the matter. Without any such provisions, the rules contained in RONR (11th ed.), p. 467-68 should be followed.

Mary, I'm afraid I don't understand your question. If, as you say, your elected president is taking a leave prior to the official date that his or her new term begins, why would it be necessary to consider the other candidate or have a special election if he or she is not even in office yet? Can you please come back and clarify?

Mary, I'm afraid I don't understand your question. If, as you say, your elected president is taking a leave prior to the official date that his or her new term begins, why would it be necessary to consider the other candidate or have a special election if he or she is not even in office yet? Can you please come back and clarify?

I pondered that as well. Then, I decided that the year-long leave would start, but not end, before the term begins, causing an overlap of possibly 364 days. :)

Mary, I'm afraid I don't understand your question. If, as you say, your elected president is taking a leave prior to the official date that his or her new term begins, why would it be necessary to consider the other candidate or have a special election if he or she is not even in office yet?

He'll be gone for a year, presumably including a big chunk of his term of office. Not that he has to (or even has) resigned but I think the implication is that he has (or will).

If he has not refused election, not specifically stated that he will not be able to take office when the term begins, then he assumes the office. It might be a good idea for someone to contact him and ask him to clearly state whether or not he will assume office when the term begins. If not, he should be asked to officially refuse the accept election (unless he already has) or to officially offer his resignation. Then the Union has either an incomplete election (if he refuses the election) or the Union has to fill the office of Vice President as the resignation should be accepted.

The new president was installed at our June meeting but does not take the position until July1. July 1st is after the approved leave and thus he is not considered an active member of our union. We currently have a vacancy in the 1st vp postion that will require a special election so we can not have the 1st vp move up..

The new president was installed at our June meeting but does not take the position until July1. July 1st is after the approved leave and thus he is not considered an active member of our union. We currently have a vacancy in the 1st vp postion that will require a special election so we can not have the 1st vp move up..

So, you have a 2nd vp? Is there anything in your bylaws regarding vacancies, and in particular for the offices of president and 1st vice-president? I'd guess not, but thought I'd ask.

Archived