The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Record Retention

Guest Sherri

I'm the secretary of a Board and would like to know how long Board of Director minutes to be retained. Also, which records need to be retained. We have committee reports, financials, minutes, etc.

The short answer: Keep everything forever.

The records of the organization should be preserved as long as the organization endures. You never know, a member may want to examine them, as is his right.

Other than the minutes, which it seems clear RONR intends an organization to keep forever, where does it say that, or even imply it regarding the other documents the original poster mentioned.

Other than the minutes, which it seems clear RONR intends an organization to keep forever, where does it say that, or even imply it regarding the other documents the original poster mentioned.

I am speaking of length of time to retain.

Take a look at the following locations in RONR (11th ed.):

p. 458, l. 34 "To keep on file all committee reports."

p. 459, l. 1 "To keep the organization's official membership roll..."

p. 459, l. 13-17 "To maintain record book(s) in which the bylaws, special rules of order, standing rules, and minutes are entered, with any amendments to these documents properly recorded, and to have the current record book on hand at every meeting."

In the first two cases, when the word "keep" is used without qualification, I don't imagine it has an expiration. More importantly, in the third case, I don't see how the secretary can have these records at EVERY meeting if he opts to throw them away from time to time.

Finally, p. 459, ll. 4-5, dictates that the secretary shall make the minutes and RECORDS available to members upon request. This is a feat that becomes considerably more difficult after the distruction of those records.

I am speaking of length of time to retain.

I've been getting a lot of questions from Guest_Guest, lately, which makes me think that some parliamentary prodigy is reluctant to become a member of this forum or that a member of this forum is hiding behind anonymity (wouldn't be the first time). I'm not too thrilled with either of those possibilities.

Who knows: it could be my imagination. :)

I've been getting a lot of questions from Guest_Guest, lately, which makes me think that some parliamentary prodigy is reluctant to become a member of this forum or that a member of this forum is hiding behind anonymity (wouldn't be the first time). I'm not too thrilled with either of those possibilities.

Who knows: it could be my imagination. :)

While I too cringe when I see posts by "Guest_Guest", there's nothing preventing someone from registering with a "real names" such as John R. Brown (p. 472 l. 16) or Ernest Dunn (p. 273 l. 16) or Mrs. Applegarth (p. 179 l. 25), none of which would lend any more credence, validity or legitimacy to their posts by virtue of a name. What motivates someone to post simply as Guest_Guest who knows, or cares?

While I too cringe when I see posts by "Guest_Guest", there's nothing preventing someone from registering with a "real names" such as John R. Brown (p. 472 l. 16) or Ernest Dunn (p. 273 l. 16) or Mrs. Applegarth (p. 179 l. 25), none of which would lend any more credence, validity or legitimacy to their posts by virtue of a name. What motivates someone to post simply as Guest_Guest who knows, or cares?

You doth protest too much, methinks. :)

I can only chalk it up to laziness since "Guest_Guest_" is the default when nothing is entered. I'd also add that it's rude but maybe that's just me. You certainly don't need to use your real name ("H. Wm. Mountcastle"? Really?) but you should at least have the courtesy to present a consistent identity.

Archived