The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting-Membership

Guest Josh Krebs

It all depends on what the By-laws state about becoming a member. However, if someone must be approved to become a member, then if the person is not approved he/she is not approved.

A non-member is not likely going to be allowed to see the By-laws of the organization, nor will he/she likely be allowed to ask for a reconsideration. There might be a waiting period to re-apply but again, it all depends on the By-laws state.

Unless there is a human rights issue, it is unlikely you can do anything about this.

If someone is denied membership in an organization by majority vote, Is there a reconsideration process or must the member reapply.

It's probably too late to use the motion to Reconsider. See below. However, in general, a motion that is lost can renewed at a later session.

RONR has no application process, so it doesn't provide an answer specific to your question.

A motion to Reconsider must be made in the same session (most likely the same meeting) in which the motion to admit to membership was lost, and it can only be made by a member who voted against the motion originally.

A non-member is not likely going to be allowed to see the By-laws of the organization . . .

I'm not sure that's true but, in any case, I'd be very reluctant to join an organization before I saw the rules I was agreeing to obey.

D9TmFd

Archived