The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation from Membership

Tim Wynn

Page 291, ll. 27-30, states that a member in good standing with his dues paid cannot be compelled to continue his membership.

Does this imply that, under the rules of RONR, if an organization, for any reason, does not or cannot accept his resignation, such a situation does not interfere with the discontinuation of his membership?

Does this imply that, under the rules of RONR, if an organization, for any reason, does not or cannot accept his resignation, such a situation does not interfere with the discontinuation of his membership?

I'm not sure I understand the question (there seems to be an inordinate amount of negatives) but, perhaps, this recent thread may prove instructive: http://robertsrules....dpost__p__79537

Page 291, ll. 27-30, states that a member in good standing with his dues paid cannot be compelled to continue his membership.

I would question why the organization "cannot" accept a resignation. Although if a member in good standing chooses could presumably stop paying his/her dues effective the start of the new payment unless there is a specific requirement to have the discontinuation "approved" although the requirement should not exist for a general member.

The only situation where I see this being an issue is an organization where a member is required to pay an Initiation Fee to join, and the fee is only returned once the request to be excused as a member is accepted.

I agree with J.J.

What is said on page 291, line 27 to page 292, line 1, indicates that a resignation from membership may become effective at some point in time even although it has not been formally accepted. The question as to exactly when a resignation has become effective under these circumstances is going to depend upon the facts in each individual case. For one example, see Q&A #300 in PL, on page 513.

If I recall correctly, after his resignation as President, Richard Nixon was disbarred by the New York Bar Association. Before the disbarral proceedings were completed, he sought to resign from the bar. Citing RONR, the Association refused to accept his resignation, preferring the punitive measure of expulsion from membership.

If I recall correctly, after his resignation as President, Richard Nixon was disbarred by the New York Bar Association. Before the disbarral proceedings were completed, he sought to resign from the bar. Citing RONR, the Association refused to accept his resignation, preferring the punitive measure of expulsion from membership.

There was a more recent example, from 2007: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/apr/25/nation/na-briefs25.4

I would note that, even today, it is impossible to resign from the UK House of Commons. A member wishing to voluntarily depart applies for the position "Steward and Baliff of the Chiltern Hundreds," a nominally paid position under the Crown. As taking such a position violates the rules of the House, and the member's seat is opened for a by-election.

It was, until sometime during Gladstone's ministries, considered an "honor," as well.

I would question why the organization "cannot" accept a resignation.

Most likely because the assembly has failed to obtain a quorum.

Although if a member in good standing chooses could presumably stop paying his/her dues effective the start of the new payment unless there is a specific requirement to have the discontinuation "approved" although the requirement should not exist for a general member.

The only situation where I see this being an issue is an organization where a member is required to pay an Initiation Fee to join, and the fee is only returned once the request to be excused as a member is accepted.

Simply failing to pay dues does not mean the member would be automatically dropped from membership unless the Bylaws so provide.

As usual, the primary reason to deny a resignation is if the society wishes to pursue disciplinary action instead. In the case of membership, however, the text goes so far as to provide that if a member is in good standing and has his dues paid, he cannot be compelled to continue as a member. As this discussion has clarified, this means the resignation of such a member will eventually become effective even if it is not accepted by the society.

Archived