The Official RONR Q & A Forums

positions of secretary and treasurer

Guest Faye Sullivan-Stafford

Guest Faye Sullivan-Stafford

I have been told that a person should never be given both positions (secretary and treasurer) for security and accuracy reasons. Is there anything in Robert's rules that outlines this and is there a printable explanation?

I have been told that a person should never be given both positions (secretary and treasurer) for security and accuracy reasons. Is there anything in Robert's rules that outlines this and is there a printable explanation?

There is nothing in Robert's Rules that would prevent the election of the same person as secretary and treasurer if that is really what the group wants to choose.

Many organization actually combine the duties of those two offices. In any event, it's for the organization to decide which officers it will have and what restrictions are placed upon holding those offices.

This is a discussion that might come up if you are 1) writing bylaws or 2) deciding whom to vote for at election time. RONR has nothing to say, pro or con, on the combination of these two offices/functions in one person. That is for the organization members to decide.

Of course, you shouldn't be electing a person to either office (secretary or treasurer) if you have doubts about that person's accuracy, attention to detail, or honesty. Those defects are likely to cause trouble for the organization even if the two positions are not shared by the same person.

Archived