The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote at AGM/Amendment

Guest Andre Gascon

Guest Andre Gascon

Hello There,

I am hoping you can help me out, or if you cannot help could you please point me in the right direction…..

I have consulted Roberts Rules and I am still confused regarding the ruling on Motion, Amendments to the Motion and the voting process.

At our AGM we proposed that “the term of appointment for the office of President shall be one year with eligibility for re-election to the same office for three further consecutive years. The motion was amended, on the floor by a voting member, to read “two years” versus “three years”.

Our constitution states that a two-thirds majority vote is required to pass an amendment to the by-laws. Roberts Rules states that an amendment to the amendment requires a majority vote. Our question is does the amended motion require a two third majority vote or majority vote?

If the amended motion is carried (two years versus three) do we vote on the main motion (with the amended changes)? And what majority is required (two thirds or majority) for the amendment to our bylaws to become effective?

For clarity, we need to understand if the amended motion is carried are we required to vote also on the original amendment with the changes and what is the required majority to pass the motion?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Hello There,

I am hoping you can help me out, or if you cannot help could you please point me in the right direction…..

I have consulted Roberts Rules and I am still confused regarding the ruling on Motion, Amendments to the Motion and the voting process.

At our AGM we proposed that “the term of appointment for the office of President shall be one year with eligibility for re-election to the same office for three further consecutive years. The motion was amended, on the floor by a voting member, to read “two years” versus “three years”.

Our constitution states that a two-thirds majority vote is required to pass an amendment to the by-laws. Roberts Rules states that an amendment to the amendment requires a majority vote. Our question is does the amended motion require a two third majority vote or majority vote?

If the amended motion is carried (two years versus three) do we vote on the main motion (with the amended changes)? And what majority is required (two thirds or majority) for the amendment to our bylaws to become effective?

For clarity, we need to understand if the amended motion is carried are we required to vote also on the original amendment with the changes and what is the required majority to pass the motion?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

While an amendment to the bylaws is pending (being debated), an amendment to that bylaw amendment requires a majority vote.

After the language of the bylaw amendment has been perfected, the bylaw amendment is put to a vote in accordance with the vote requirement prescribed in the bylaws.

Amendments and the processing of them is a tricky business, particularly if the presiding officer is a little unsure how to do it.

Step 1) Get a copy of

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get it by clicking here.

and read Chapter 5. And get a copy for the chairman, too -- a 4th of July gift!

Step 2) Meanwhile here is the very condensed version...

As is common, amending your bylaws requires a 2/3 vote, and it requires a MAIN MOTION to do so. So let us call your main motion to amend the bylaws by changing a part of your bylaws, just that - a "Proposal". However any amendment to that Main motion, or "proposal", requires only a normal majority (more votes for than against) to adopt.

Your main motion or Proposal was, in condensed form, "set term limits at three consecutive terms".

Your friend offered an amendment to the Proposal to, in effect, strike out the word "three" and insert "two". Adopting that amendment required only a majority vote. I presume that vote happened, perhaps after discussion, and the amendment carried.

So now your "Proposal" reads "set term limits at two consecutive terms". But that main motion / proposal has NOT yet been adopted, only the amendment has. (And your original three year proposal is no longer before you at all -- it has been amended.) And since this proposal is a change (amendment) to the existing bylaws, it will require a 2/3 vote to adopt. So you vote (after discussion) it up or down. And that settles the question.

So the sequence is

1) Make a main motion.

2) Offer an amendment.

3) Adopt (or defeat) the amendment.

4) Vote on the main motion, as possibly amended (depending on step 3).

You provided the answer to this question in the first sentence above.

If the amended motion is carried (two years versus three) do we vote on the main motion (with the amended changes)?

Yes, or otherwise dispose of it (postpone, etc).

And what majority is required (two thirds or majority) for the amendment to our bylaws to become effective?

See my first answer.

For clarity, we need to understand if the amended motion is carried are we required to vote also on the original amendment with the changes....

See my second answer.

and what is the required majority to pass the motion?

See my third answer.

Your bylaws state that to adopt an amendment to the bylaws (actually have it go into effect) takes a 2/3 vote.

But while the bylaws amendment is being discussed and debated, any changes (amendments) to the language only require a majority vote. Nothing that is agreed to in the course of debate, which may (or may not) change the proposed language, actually becomes part of the bylaws yet. it is only helping to get the main motion (the proposed bylaws amendment) "perfected", or at least in the best shape it can be, before the final vote on the perfected language takes place.

It is that final vote that requires a 2/3 vote in the affirmative, in order to pass.

Archived