The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion

Guest pam

We were voting on tentative contract ratification. The polls were opened at 5pm and closed at 630pm. During the voting period, we discussed the topics in the agreement, at the end of the discussion there were some members who wanted the vote postponed until a future date. The motion to postpone was made at the end of the discussion but the polls were not yet closed. They were told the motion was out or order and should have been made before the discussion or voting, but the members stated they did not know until after the discussion was over that they wanted to postpone it. So how does that work,

We were voting on tentative contract ratification. The polls were opened at 5pm and closed at 630pm. During the voting period, we discussed the topics in the agreement, at the end of the discussion there were some members who wanted the vote postponed until a future date. The motion to postpone was made at the end of the discussion but the polls were not yet closed. They were told the motion was out or order and should have been made before the discussion or voting, but the members stated they did not know until after the discussion was over that they wanted to postpone it. So how does that work,

Once voting begins (that is, the first member casts his vote), interruptions are not permitted. (RONR 11th ed., p. 408 ll. 9-11). The time to "discuss the topics" was during the debate phase prior to voting. If the membership wanted to debate the motion further, they should have when they had the chance. The motion to postpone was out of order, although it is incorrect to say it should have been made before the discussion. It could have been made during, or after discussion, but not once voting began.

So, what was the outcome of the motion to postpone?

We were told the motion was out of order and that it should have been done before the ballot vote. But the polls were open from 5 -630 and the depate was taking place during that time. members feel the two should have been seperate and are seeking a new depate time and ballot voting time..

If our bylaws and constitution calls to use RONR;s and it is not followed what do we do?

Guest pamarama, I think you can see the drastic pitfall of continuing to change the proposal that people are still voting on, and that some have already voted on. What to do now? Hmmf. I see that the vote took place on the 11th. Too bad, the motion to Reconsider could have helped, but too late for that now.

I'll guess that, if your meeting schedules are flexible enough, you can get another meeting together (maybe even a Special Meeting that is called for this particular purpose) and Rescind the adoption of the motion. Then you're back where you started, thinking about approving the contract proposal.

-- Wait a minute. Guest pamarama, what were the results of the polling?? And please answer David Foulkes' question -- what about the motion to postpon??

The vote was 34 yes, 27no. To answer David's question, we were told the motion was out of order, that a motion should have been done before voting, however, the debate process and voting were taking place at the same time so we waited until the debate was over and then made a motion to postpone until a further date but polls were still open. I feel that this was dirty play on our president’s part. I not sure if it is right to have a debate and polls open at the same time, how are you going to know if you are happey with the contract until the debate is done?

You know the more I look into this, the more I am begining to think this was done wrong from the start. I'm going to have to look into our bylaws and see what the ratification process is.

Archived