The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum Question

Guest Quorum Question

Guest Quorum Question

FACTS: the club has by laws that require 20% of the members to make a quorum; at a general meeting the chair (president) declares a quorum; a member calls point of order that he does not believe there is a quorum; chair states he has determined a quorum exists; member appeals with a second.

What happens then? Does the chair have to give evidence of a quorum? And, because a quorum is a % of members in good standing, would chair have to produce a member list and call roll?

FACTS: the club has by laws that require 20% of the members to make a quorum; at a general meeting the chair (president) declares a quorum; a member calls point of order that he does not believe there is a quorum; chair states he has determined a quorum exists; member appeals with a second.

What happens then? Does the chair have to give evidence of a quorum? And, because a quorum is a % of members in good standing, would chair have to produce a member list and call roll?

A member had raised a Point of Order that there is not a quorum. The chair ruled the point not well taken. A member appealed from the decision of the chair. Now, the assembly decides the matter by a vote, requiring a majority to reverse the decision of the chair.

I take it that there was no check-in as folks came to the meeting? Too bad.

I guess (I don't think RONR says as much in this context) that a quorum is assumed present - because the "responsible party" said so! - so you can do business. The first piece of that would be to ask the membership chairman, or the treasurer, to state how many members you have - paid up, &c., and in compliance with the bylaws definition of "membership". Then start counting.

All of this could be a part of the "appeal" process that T. Wynn describes (because he types faster than I do!).

I take it that there was no check-in as folks came to the meeting? Too bad.

I guess (I don't think RONR says as much in this context) that a quorum is assumed present - because the "responsible party" said so! - so you can do business.

"When the chair has called the meeting to order after finding that a quorum is present, the continued presence of a quorum is presumed unless the chair or a member notices that a quorum is no longer present." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 349, ll. 8-11.

Evidence? Sure, from whomever has any.

I'd think a sign-in sheet (as long as nobody, or not too many, have left) plus some simple arithmetic, would be pretty conclusive evidence one way or another, no matter who produces it.

I get the impression that there is more going on here than a determination of how many people are in the room. Care to fill us in?

Guest Quorum Question

There has been no updated member list, and despite repeated and written requests, the board has said that they are only required to put out a membership list quarterly. So how can they (or the membership) determine the number needed for a quorum without knowing how many members there are? (NOTE: there is no mention in the bylaws of when or how or how often a membership list will be published, only that the secretary must maintain it.)

Without a membership list, isn't the sign in sheet worthless?

There has been no updated member list, and despite repeated and written requests, the board has said that they are only required to put out a membership list quarterly. So how can they (or the membership) determine the number needed for a quorum without knowing how many members there are? (NOTE: there is no mention in the bylaws of when or how or how often a membership list will be published, only that the secretary must maintain it.)

The secretary should have the membership roll at every meeting. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 459.

It certainly doesn't say that item should be left at home. :)

Ah, a non-answer with a smiley. Hard not to let that go, and yet.... (you know me)....... p. 459 says that -- oh, heck, you know what it says, and it says nothing about the secretary having the membership roll at every meeting. I think it's a wonderful idea, mind you. I just don't see RONR stating that with any shall-osity and must-ness.

. . . it says nothing about the secretary having the membership roll at every meeting.

But RONR notes (on p.346) that one of the disadvantages of a quorum requirement based on a percentage of the total membership is the confusion that may result when the secretary is absent (since she is presumed to be the keeper of the roll).

and for the members to vote on the appeal, does the chair have to provide any evidence of a quorum? the sign in sheet (there was one) or the official membership list?

He doesn't have to, but I imagine it would help his case on the appeal. The assembly may order the sign-in sheet or the official membership list to be provided if it so desires. Then the chair (or whoever has it) would have to.

There has been no updated member list, and despite repeated and written requests, the board has said that they are only required to put out a membership list quarterly.

Well, don't make it a request. Have the general membership adopt a motion ordering the board to produce the membership list. If they still refuse, see FAQ #20 and get some new board members. The rule the board is claiming is not in RONR, and apparently it's not in your rules either, so they're making it up.

So how can they (or the membership) determine the number needed for a quorum without knowing how many members there are?

Beats me. Sounds like a good question to ask during debate on the Appeal.

I'm not sure that it's worthless, but it sure isn't as helpful as it would be if you knew who the members were.

You might find it easier going if you "pored over" RONRIB:

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get it at this link:

http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

If the chair and vice chair are not at a meeting but there is a quorum, can the meeting still take place and motions be voted on?

Assuming this is a regularly scheduled or properly called meeting*, yes, unless your rules say otherwise.

* By this I mean that a quorum of members haven't gathered without the chair or vice chair being notified, in an attempt to end-run around them in their absence.

Let's say the point of order on the quorum is appealed and the assembly votes that there is a quorum and later it is shown that there was not a quorum (through sign in sheets and not knowing the right number of members or something like that). Are the actions taken during the inquorate meeting invalid?

If the chair feels that the new evidence constitutes "clear and convincing proof" that a quorum was not present at the time, then he may rule the business invalid, subject to appeal. See FAQ #3.

Archived