The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seconding a motion

Guest Stan Better

I am a member of a local municipality zoning board. I have a question about someone seconding a motion. At the end of a discussion of a proposed project brought to the board, one of the board members (A) made a motion in favor of approving the motion. Another member (B) seconded the motion in favor of approval. When it came time to vote, the board member (B) that seconded the motion voted against the motion.

I thought that if you second a motion that you are bound to vote in favor of the motion. Am I correct, or does the person seconding the motion have the right to vote against the motion that he seconded?

I thought that if you second a motion that you are bound to vote in favor of the motion. Am I correct, or does the person seconding the motion have the right to vote against the motion that he seconded?

Not only is the seconder free to vote against the motion (in fact, he may be seconding it only so that the assembly goes on record as opposing it), the maker of the motion is also free to vote against it (the only restriction on the maker being that he can't speak against the motion in debate).

Archived