The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Recess

mstrickland

The Executive Committee held a regular scheduled meeting - went into closed session - then went into open session - a motion was made to recess until the following Thursday. My question is.....by going into recess for the next meeting is the meeting open to all the Executive Committee members (notified) or only the members in attendance of the first meeting may attend the meeting scheduled for the following Thursday.

My question is.....by going into recess for the next meeting is the meeting open to all the Executive Committee members (notified) or only the members in attendance of the first meeting may attend the meeting scheduled for the following Thursday.

That's not a "recess" (which is a very brief break of only a few minutes), it's an adjournment. In any case, all members have a right to attend all meetings, or any part of a meeting, whether they were present when the meeting began, left in the middle, arrived late, or whatever.

Rather than a straight adjournment, Mary's board may have (not quite correctly, but close enough) set up an "Adjourned Meeting" -- a continuation of the same meeting next Thursday. It sort of depends on whether they intend to start fresh in the order of business, or pick up where they left off.

Doesn't matter all that much. Just as long as ALL the board members know about it, as Edgar emphasized.

Rather than a straight adjournment, Mary's board may have (not quite correctly, but close enough) set up an "Adjourned Meeting" -- a continuation of the same meeting next Thursday. It sort of depends on whether they intend to start fresh in the order of business, or pick up where they left off.

Doesn't matter all that much. Just as long as ALL the board members know about it, as Edgar emphasized.

An adjourned meeting is a continuation of the same session, in which the business is taken up from the point at which the previous meeting adjourned, except for the reading of minutes. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 244, ll. 31-34 & p. 94, ll. 11-15.

Also, notice of an adjourned meeting is not required, though it is desirable. See p. 244, ll. 21-23.

Just as long as ALL the board members know about it, as Edgar emphasized.

Actually, I only indicated that all members have a right to attend. I might have also added that they have a right to be notified too but, after reading Mr. Wynn's post, I'm glad I didn't.

Archived