The Official RONR Q & A Forums

recording minutes - Chair misinforms a member

Guest Anne Marie

What can the Officer do in the following scenario?

An Officer requests that his/her statement be recorded in the minutes of the meeting. The Chair informs the officer that this can be done by adding his/her statement as a discussion point on a motion. When the minutes are sent for approval, the statement is not there and the Chair refuses to record the statement on the basis of :-

(1) Robert's rules: a person's opnion must not be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.

(2) The motion that the statement was supposed to be added as a discusssion point to had already passed before the statement was made.

What can the Officer do in the following scenario?

An Officer requests that his/her statement be recorded in the minutes of the meeting. The Chair informs the officer that this can be done by adding his/her statement as a discussion point on a motion. When the minutes are sent for approval, the statement is not there and the Chair refuses to record the statement on the basis of :-

(1) Robert's rules: a person's opnion must not be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.

(2) The motion that the statement was supposed to be added as a discusssion point to had already passed before the statement was made.

The officer can do nothing. The chair was half-right the second time. Under Robert's Rules, a person's opinion must not be recorded in the minutes of the meeting... period. All this stuff about "discussion points" is nonsense.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I understand that it cannot be undone at this point and that personal remarks cannot be added to the minutes.

But does this mean that there is no recourse for the Officer since he/she was misinformed? Can the Officer propose a motion to address this issue when approving the minutes? The Chair can get away with misinforming the members about Robert's rules?

Bearing in mind that Officer's statements, in general, do not belong in the minutes:

1. The chair can get away with whatever you all allow him. A motion of censure might be in order, and I'd say would definitely be in order if there's good grounds to believe he misinformed the Officer deiberately.

2. As Dr Stackpole says, the Officer can draft his statement, and move that it be inserted in the minutes (any minutes), or anyone else can make the motion, and if it is adopted, it's a done deal, willy-nilly the president's or secretary's opinion. Or mine.

N.B. I compliment and thank Guest_Anne Marie for scrupulously maintaining her name, rather than neglect the form and become another one of the faceless Guest_Guests. Although it would probably be easier for her just to join up, and avoid the excruciating, interminable Capcha code. Unless she likes the honorific Guest, which I suppose I can see. For myself, I'd be glad to call her Your Ladyship if she preferred, since Guest gets bandied about so commonly (pun) lately. I personally don't cotton to Your Ladyship myself, especially when David Foulkes calls me that. But I'm touchy lately.

But does this mean that there is no recourse for the Officer since he/she was misinformed? Can the Officer propose a motion to address this issue when approving the minutes? The Chair can get away with misinforming the members about Robert's rules?

You seem to be acting under the assumption that the chair has done this deliberately, and I'm not sure that is a foregone conclusion. If this is in fact the case, then certainly some form of disciplinary action seems appropriate. Such a motion would be made during New Business, not during the approval of the minutes.

If the officer still wishes to try and change the minutes, that motion would be made during the approval of the minutes. In my opinion, such a motion should be voted down. It is unfortunate that the officer was misinformed, but that doesn't change the rules.

Archived