The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote

taffy571

2 weeks ago I was ellected or got on the board by acclamation. there were 3 others persons running against me. One name was blacked out, he was asked to consider putting his name on the list of nominees again, but declined and said he would be at the meeeting to nominate me,(he didn't show up) Now today we get a letter saying that me getting in was illegal, it shouldn't have happened. My question is, was it illegal? Should I not be on the board? or should we have another vote?

Mmm, it depends on what actually happened. Might there be a way to tell whether you were actually elected, or got on the board by acclamation?

Would you please tell us (me, at least, since I seem to be the Robert's Rules Website Overnight Officer (Eastern Daylight Time) again) what it means to have a name blacked out, since not only does that expression not appear in RONR, but I've never heard it before?

And on what grounds does the letter say that your getting in was illegal?

sorry should have explained it better, there were three names on the list, I put mine on, the other three took their names off, his name was crossed off with magic marker, and he says he didn't do it. So that just left me to run, so that's what I meant by getting in by acclamation. Then today this woman sends the board a letter and says that it was illegal, as his name was crossed off.

Were you formally "told" by the chairman, declaring that you were elected? If so, then you are in office. I take it that there were no objections, at the time.

The time for someone to raise a point of order about the election process (in particular why, or by whom, your opponent's name was crossed off) has come and gone. See p. 250-251.

(Posted by the Deputy Overnight Officer.)

Archived