The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what can the chair do when no names are on the ballot and the current persons are willing to continue serving. And By-Laws do not cover address it.

Guest Isaac

I would like to know what options are open the the chairman of an organization when there are not canidates on the ballot for election and the current officers serving are willing to continue serving. Please give me the professional dialogue to use (what do I say); I want to keep the current officers in place.

This will be covered in the new By-Laws, but they will not be completed before the upcoming election.

Thanks,

Rev. Isaac V. Cropp Jr

This problem is not the chairman's responsibility to deal with: it is the membership's. It is implicit that the membership is obliged to elect officers when that membership's own governing document, its bylaws, say it will.

Whether the current officers can stay in office if the scheduled elections are not completed is determined by what the bylaws -- the current bylaws -- say the officers' terms are (RONR, 11th Ed, p. 57 - 574).

Specific verbiage is a lesser issue.

First check the bylaws. Officers (current ones) may be in office "until the election of their successors" - if no election, they STAY in (at least until they quit or you finally do complete the election).

Or....

Announce that because of a lack of leadership interest, the organization will dissolve itself and go out of business. Really. Organizations don't last forever, including churches, and it is much better to close up shop formally than just drift along, and then wonder what happened to the bank account, far too long after the fact to do anything about it.

Often enough a threat like this one will shake some other people out of the woodwork who will be willing to serve after all. But if it doesn't, there is a message there...

I would like to know what options are open the the chairman of an organization when there are not canidates on the ballot for election and the current officers serving are willing to continue serving.

Whoa there...... if the current officers are willing to continue to serve, why aren't their names on the ballot? Is there some reason like, oh I don't know, the bylaws include term limits and these current officers have hit that limit??

Why oh why aren't these willing-to-serve officers' names on the ballot???

Archived