The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forced agenda addition

Guest unsure

During a Special Executive Closed meeting, called for and noticed as a meeting with the auditor, a motion to remove/replace the chair was forced through. Our Bylaws state "Only the order of business that caused the meeting to be called will be discussed provided a quorum is present."

My question is: Is the action taken valid since there was no notice given? If not, what steps should be taken now?

During a Special Executive Closed meeting, called for and noticed as a meeting with the auditor, a motion to remove/replace the chair was forced through. Our Bylaws state "Only the order of business that caused the meeting to be called will be discussed provided a quorum is present."

My question is: Is the action taken valid since there was no notice given? If not, what steps should be taken now?

Under RONR, this is permissible, since it is a question of privilege related to the conduct of the meeting. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 93, ll. 5-8.

When I read

...a motion to remove/replace the chair was forced through...

I took it to mean they threw the chair out for good and replaced him, not just for this meeting, but from this point forward.

Then I read Tim's response and I see it can maybe mean just for that meeting.

Now my question is does the provision Tim mentions only apply to the removal being confined to that meeting? I'm thinking yes.

I took it to mean they threw the chair out for good and replaced him, not just for this meeting, but from this point forward.

Then I read Tim's response and I see it can maybe mean just for that meeting.

Now my question is does the provision Tim mentions only apply to the removal being confined to that meeting? I'm thinking yes.

You have to think of the absentees who are protected by the fact that business is limited to that mentioned in the call. While temporarily replacing the chair for that meeting has no effect on the absentees, losing their permanent presiding officer would. Also, filling a vacancy in office requires notice.

In other words, you were thinking rightly.

Archived