The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Jim

Our by laws specify Section 6- a Quorum shall consist of ten voting members in any meeting of the membership as listed in the articles of incorporation. The by laws also list Section 7- A majority of the board of directors shall constitute a quorum for any regular or special meeting.

We have 10 Board of Directors. The way I interpert this is that we either have to have 10 voting members present at a regular meeting OR 6 BOD members present to conduct business. Would you say that is a correct assumpution?

The way I interpert this is that we either have to have 10 voting members present at a regular meeting OR 6 BOD members present to conduct business. Would you say that is a correct assumpution?

I think the more logical assumption is that the quorum for a meeting of the membership is ten members and the quorum for a board meeting is a majority (which would be six if all positions are filled). Ultimately, however, it is up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Our by laws specify Section 6- a Quorum shall consist of ten voting members in any meeting of the membership as listed in the articles of incorporation. The by laws also list Section 7- A majority of the board of directors shall constitute a quorum for any regular or special meeting.

We have 10 Board of Directors. The way I interpert this is that we either have to have 10 voting members present at a regular meeting OR 6 BOD members present to conduct business. Would you say that is a correct assumpution?

Undoubtedly not. I suspect that if you read your bylaws more carefully, you may find that §6 refers to general membership meetings, and §7 refers to board meetings.

Our by laws specify Section 6 . . .

The by laws also list Section 7 . . .

I agree with the previous responses and wonder what the headings of those two sections are. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Section 6 was something like "General Membership Meetings" and Section 7 was something like "Board Meetings". One reason we avoid interpreting bylaws on this forum is that, in order to properly do so, they must be read in their entirety, not by looking at excerpts taken out of context.

Archived