The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Attendee representatitve

Guest TY in Texas

One of our members is unable to attend our board meeting later this month and asked if they could send someone in their place. Our bylaws do not make this allowance so I thought I'd find out if Roberts addressesit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Proxy voting (having someone vote in his place) is not permitted unless the bylaws specifically provide for it which yours don't apparently (RONR pp. 423-424). If this "member" is not a Board member but merely an observer it is up to the Board to decide whether to permit a non Board member to attend.

One of our members is unable to attend our board meeting later this month and asked if they could send someone in their place. Our bylaws do not make this allowance so I thought I'd find out if Roberts addressesit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If the board member wants to send someone to act as an observer at the meeting, the board could decide whether or not to allow this. The board could even choose to suspend the rules so as to allow the observer to speak at the meeting. The observer could not be given permission to vote in the absent member's place (not even if the board wanted to grant such permission).

Archived