The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Bylaws Chairman preside at the Bylaws revision meeting?

Guest Louise

First allow me to apologize for all of these questions. Hopefully this will be the final one. Maybe.

We have our Bylaws draft completed and ready to present to the membership. My question is: Can the Bylaws Chairman (not me) preside at the Bylaws revision meeting, or does it have to be the Chairman of the organization (also not me)?

The Chairman will be present, but is not as well-versed in RRONR as the Bylaws chairman is.

Louise

My question is: Can the Bylaws Chairman (not me) preside at the Bylaws revision meeting, or does it have to be the Chairman of the organization (also not me)?

The Chairman will be present, but is not as well-versed in RRONR as the Bylaws chairman is.

Well, it does not have to be the chairman of the organization, although it generally should be. It should not be the Bylaws Chairman, however, as his role as the chairman of the committee recommending the revision would undermine his appearance of impartiality as chair. I would try to find someone else in the organization who is also well-versed in RONR. If the Bylaws Chairman does end up presiding, some other member of the committee should present the committee's report.

Well, it does not have to be the chairman of the organization, although it generally should be. It should not be the Bylaws Chairman, however, as his role as the chairman of the committee recommending the revision would undermine his appearance of impartiality as chair. I would try to find someone else in the organization who is also well-suited in RONR. If the Bylaws Chairman does end up presiding, some other member of the committee should present the committee's report.

That makes sense. That whole impartiality thing slipped my mind. :)

Perhaps I will just write out a script for the Chairman (and Bylaws Chairman) to follow. Would it be acceptable to have a Bylaws Committee member do the reading aloud of each section, with the Bylaws Chairman introducing the section by the article number and title?

Louise

You could have the members of the committee rotate, each of him or her singing her section a capella like the Bach D-minor Mass. Great Steaming Cobnuts, tell us where and when and open the meeting to visiting parliamentarians (and aspiring parliamentarians like me) and all your Bach fans!

You could have the members of the committee rotate, each of him or her singing her section a capella like the Bach D-minor Mass. Great Steaming Cobnuts, tell us where and when and open the meeting to visiting parliamentarians (and aspiring parliamentarians like me) and all your Bach fans!

Well, that sounds like fun! We'll serve cake and punch, too!

Oh. Except I can't sing.

And if I try, people are sure to leave the meeting in droves, with their ears bleeding.

Perhaps we'll just stick to reading them. ;)

Archived