The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members Attending Board Meetings

Guest Guest -- Cherries

sMargaret,

That's an interesting perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it. Please know that I have served 4 years as an officer on this board. During that 4 year period I do not recall one board meeting at which I would have felt the need to vote to exclude a member. My husband has 6 years of service as an officer. Even when we are not officers we volunteer with the group and remain very involved. I value transparency, which is one reason I generally prefer meetings -- board and general membership -- to be open. I do understand some groups may need to close certain meetings, but I'm of the opinion this group benefits from inclusion and openess.

Cherrries

Did you have a question about Robert's Rules?

That's an interesting perspective, and I appreciate you sharing it. Please know that I have served 4 years as an officer on this board. During that 4 year period I do not recall one board meeting at which I would have felt the need to vote to exclude a member. My husband has 6 years of service as an officer. Even when we are not officers we volunteer with the group and remain very involved. I value transparency, which is one reason I generally prefer meetings -- board and general membership -- to be open. I do understand some groups may need to close certain meetings, but I'm of the opinion this group benefits from inclusion and openess.

Cherrries, unfortunately RONR doesn't state that you can ignore the rules just because you think the group would benefit, or because you used to be a member of the organization that is meeting. The rules of order are there for a reason - to maintain order and to expedite the business of the association.

I am relieved to state that the 11th edition hasn't changed the section I quoted earlier, from the 10th edition. Now found on page 648-649, it goes on to say:

"The sergeant-at-arms or the members of the appointed committee themselves may attempt to remove the offender from the hall, using the minimum force necessary. Such a step should generally be taken only as a last resort, since there may be adverse legal consequences; and a person who would refuse to leave upon legitimate request may be the type most likely to bring suit, even if with little justification."

If you wish to change the policies and bylaws of your organization, bring a motion forward when attending a meeting at which you are a member - that is the method laid out in RONR.

Archived