The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a trustee vote to break a tied vote by the Board?

Guest maryann33

The President of the Board has told the Trustee that if the four members currently on a five position board vote 2-2 on an issue, the trustee has to cast the deciding vote. I have never heard of a trustee with voting power.

If you're referring to a Board of Trustees, then every (current) member of the Board is, by definition, a Trustee. But former members of the board (i.e. former trustees) have no more right to vote than I do.

No, this is a board (officers) of a non-profit condo association. There has never been anyone designated "trustee" before but this years president has appointed a former president who resigned for health reasons as a "trustee" and says she can vote if there is a 2-2 vote by the current officers.

There has never been anyone designated "trustee" before but this years president has appointed a former president who resigned for health reasons as a "trustee" and says she can vote if there is a 2-2 vote by the current officers.

Well, it sounds like your president is just making things up. But you could always ask her (or him) to show you where she (or he) gets the authority to create "trustees". Just don't hold your breath.

No, this is a board (officers) of a non-profit condo association. There has never been anyone designated "trustee" before but this years president has appointed a former president who resigned for health reasons as a "trustee" and says she can vote if there is a 2-2 vote by the current officers.

Check the governing documents to see the proper composition of the board and to determine which individuals have the right to vote.

The position, and the President's right to appoint that position, can only be found in the By-laws of the organization. And a tie vote defeats a motion, so there is nothing that has to be done. Also, check the By-laws about filling the vacancy - if the members have the right to fill the vacancy, then try to get a membership meeting organized to fill the vacancy.

Archived