The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No one runs for president, VP is Vacant, now what?

Guest Paul Blake

Who has the authority to appoint a new president to fill the term?

Perhaps no one. If you need to hold an election, you need to hold an election.

But whoever would be appointed can be elected and, conversely, if no one wants to be elected, why would they agree to be appointed?

So if someone was to be appointed, it would have to be by the BOD?

It would have to be by the body that is authorized to do so. Your board may or may not have that authorization.

Also keep in mind the difference between filling a mid-term vacancy (e.g. due to resignation or death) and electing (or re-electing) someone when the term ends. In the first case, many organizations authorize someone (e.g. the president) or something (e.g. the board) to fill the mid-term vacancy. In the latter case, you'll need to hold (and complete) an election.

What you seem to be describing is an election where no one wants the job, not a mid-term vacancy that your board MIGHT (or might not) be authorized to fill).

But I'll repeat my question: If no one wants to "run" for the office, why do you think anyone will agree to be appointed? And, if they'll agree to be appointed, why don't they simply run for the office?

Do The offices of The Excutive Committee remain empty if no one want s to run and/or be appointed? Does the Excutive committee that has reached the end of their terms have an obligation to remain in their postions?

If they've reached the end of their terms, they're obligated to leave office. :)

Tim, does the wording of the bylaws make a difference, especially in light of p. 573, l. 33 through p. 574, l. 22?

Tim, does the wording of the bylaws make a difference, especially in light of p. 573, l. 33 through p. 574, l. 22?

Subject to that pesky "or until their successors are elected" clause.

My point was that the question is probably a matter of when the term ends, not if the person still serves after the term ends. The winking face was a hint.

Yes, the whole purpose of the language "or/and until their successors are elected," is to ensure continued service in such situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine that the Executive Board could not appoint a new president, since that office presides over the Exec Board? So if someone was to be appointed, it would have to be by the BOD?

If your bylaws say that the president must be elected, then I don't understand where all this talk of "appointment" is coming from. You must hold an election, and elect someone as president, whether anybody "runs" or not.

RONR does not recognize the concept of "running". If necessary, you pass out blank sheets of paper and have people write a name them. Repeat until someone gets a majority of the votes cast.

Archived