The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member seating at a meeting

Guest Diane Lepore

To whom it may concern,

Last month I attended an Architectural Review Board meeting. Two out of the three board members were there and 4 home owner members attended. We all sat around a 5 foot folding table. The next meeting three weeks later only a folding card table of 4 places was set up and chairs were set up around the table. At this meeting, the three board members were present and the moderator. Only three home owner members were present, me and my husband and another home owner. Chairs had been set up around 3-4 feet away from the table for home owners. I was told that it was Florida law that stated I could not sit at the table or near the table and was told to move. I was sitting in one of the chairs put there for the home owners. The moderator told me later that it is Roberts rules of order that states I can not sit at the table or near it. I have a hearing problem and can't hear the meeting if I sit far away.

I have looked at Roberts Rules of Order and various Florida statutes concerning home owner associations and meetings of the board and can find nothing pertaining to where I can sit or not sit especially when there are less than 10 people present.

Can somebody help me as to where I can or can not sit at a meeting composed of just a few people.

I am kind of getting the idea that no such regulation exists because I have asked the moderator and the board member both twice as to where I can find this seating regulation. If someone knows where I might find this regulation, I would appreciate it if you could tell me.

Thank you,

Diane Lepore

As far as RONR is concerned since you (apparently) aren't a Board member they can choose to seat you anywhere they wish or exclude you from the meeting altogether (though if this Board is a public body there might be applicable laws which gives you extra rights which might include rights for those with sensory impairments). See RONR p. 644 ll. 21-32 and p. 648 ll.11-14. It is beyond this forum's scope to discuss any laws or regulations beyond RONR so I would recommend you contact a lawyer who is familiar with the laws and regulations in question.

To whom it may concern,

Last month I attended an Architectural Review Board meeting. Two out of the three board members were there and 4 home owner members attended. We all sat around a 5 foot folding table. The next meeting three weeks later only a folding card table of 4 places was set up and chairs were set up around the table. At this meeting, the three board members were present and the moderator. Only three home owner members were present, me and my husband and another home owner. Chairs had been set up around 3-4 feet away from the table for home owners. I was told that it was Florida law that stated I could not sit at the table or near the table and was told to move. I was sitting in one of the chairs put there for the home owners. The moderator told me later that it is Roberts rules of order that states I can not sit at the table or near it. I have a hearing problem and can't hear the meeting if I sit far away.

I have looked at Roberts Rules of Order and various Florida statutes concerning home owner associations and meetings of the board and can find nothing pertaining to where I can sit or not sit especially when there are less than 10 people present.

Can somebody help me as to where I can or can not sit at a meeting composed of just a few people.

I am kind of getting the idea that no such regulation exists because I have asked the moderator and the board member both twice as to where I can find this seating regulation. If someone knows where I might find this regulation, I would appreciate it if you could tell me.

Thank you,

Diane Lepore

When the moderator and board member find that procedural rule in the Florida statutes, have them e-mail it to me. :)

I'll be holding my breath.

Archived