The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question about Discipline

Guest Kim

I have a question regarding how a Club is supposed to handle discipline of a member. Can a club send a person of the general public that used to be a member a letter making them a member in Bad Standing over a conversation that was handled between this member and an officer privatley a year previous to this letter being sent out? Is there a clause that requires things like this to be handled in a timely manner?

Thanks

Can a club send a person of the general public that used to be a member a letter making them a member in Bad Standing...

Sure, though I don't know what good it would do to unilaterally make a nonmember a member of any standing (or sitting, or lying down) unless that person wishes to be a member and I can't imagine too many people who would be interested in becoming a member in Bad Standing.

Is there a clause that requires things like this to be handled in a timely manner?

RONR doesn't impose a deadline when disciplinary action must take place. However, I question whether someone who isn't under the organization's authority can actually be disciplined by them.

I have a question regarding how a Club is supposed to handle discipline of a member. Can a club send a person of the general public that used to be a member a letter making them a member in Bad Standing over a conversation that was handled between this member and an officer privatley a year previous to this letter being sent out?

Sure, I guess they can send any letter they want. It would probably give the former member a good laugh, at least.

Archived