The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mayoral Veto

Guest Richard inVA

I serve on a Town Council of a town with approx 3,500 people. The Council is a 7 Member Council and a Mayor who has tie-breaking and veto powers. We follow RONR current edition. The Council meets monthly for its Regular Monthly Meeting.

Several months ago, there was a passing motion that the Mayor vetoed. The question was considered by the Town attorney, per the Mayor's request, and is being returned to the Council for reconsideration. The Attorney is offering 3 options as possible solutions to the question; one, of which, as is being recommended by the Attorney, is essentially identical to the previously vetoed motion of several months ago.

Question:

A) Because the original motion was vetoed several months ago, would a new motion (essentially identical) still require a 2/3rds vote to override the veto?

B) Is an essentially identical motion even allowable?

C) What is the life-span of a veto? 1 Month? 1 Year? When could the motion be repeated without the requirement of an override?

Thank you for any help!

Richard in VA

+++++++++++

I support the Mayor's veto.

The Bylaws of the Town include the veto powers of the Mayor, written quite similar to that of the State Governor and the President. Once vetoed, the motion remains unpassed until such time as a 2/3rds majority vote. The veto remains in place. There is no mention in the bylaws of expiration date, or valid time period for a veto.

The other 2 options being presented by the Town Attorney I would support a motion toward. One maybe more-so than the other.

I will conclude that during the next meeting, any motion for option #3 (as recommended by the attorney) would require a 2/3rds majority vote to pass and override the veto. Options #1 and #2 are brand new motions that can pass via simple majority. I may move on option #1, or #2... but I prefer option #1.

THANKS for the help!

Richard in VA

+++++++++++

Archived