The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member rights when their spouse is an employee

Louise

Our organziation has one employee. A member has applied for this position. A Board member wants to write into the contract that the applicant's spouse (who is also a member of the organization) will keep their nose out of the organization's business if the applicant is hired.

My thought is that the applicant/employee is not the spouse, and that as a member, the Board member is out of order for wanting to restrict the spouse's rights as a member simply because their spouse is a (potential) employee of the organization.

Am I right on this, or does this go beyond the scope of RONR?

In this case, I suggest the organization contact a lawyer who specializes in employment law to see if there are options. For example, if you hire the candidate and her spouse causes issues can you terminate and/or suspend the employee. I'd say no, but I am not an employment expert and it may all depend on the situation.

In this case, I suggest the organization contact a lawyer who specializes in employment law to see if there are options. For example, if you hire the candidate and her spouse causes issues can you terminate and/or suspend the employee. I'd say no, but I am not an employment expert and it may all depend on the situation.

Thank you. I will have to find out exactly what the Board member's concerns about the spouse first.

Archived