The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Overturning an organizational structure

Guest eunice

I will find out if it was added to the bylaws but if it was, does the board have to propose the change to membership?

Your bylaws will include the process by which they can be changed (i.e. amended).

The basic principle here is that whichever body adopted the organizational structure is the body that can change it. And by a similar procedure. All sorts of variations are possible; it depends on your own organization's rules.

The organizational structure is in regards to a committee charter and a reporting process. This is a North American dog club and its Field Advisory committee. There was a document published over a year ago that showed how this advisory committee reported to the board - and who on the board it reported to for certain things. Further a process was showen as to how this committee whent about its business on a selected process. All of this was clearly outlined in the published document.

Recently a board member and the President of the club hyjacked the process and changed how the committee handles the process, leaving the committee that was originally responsible for the process with little to no input.

There was a vote but I believe it was less than a 2/3 majority. Unfortunately many of the board members do not understand the venue this process is linked to so they were swayed.

The committee is trying to see if we can challange the modification - not because we want control but instead, because we do not want all of the power in the hands of a single group. It is about checks and balances.

Who wrote and, more important, who aproved the "document" you spoke of?

Chances are that the group that approved the document (provided that approval was appropriate or proper at the time) is the only group that has the right (or responsibility) to change or enforce the original document.

But you will have to wade into your bylaws, and minutes, to find these things out -- we can't do that here.

Archived