The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting rights for honorary positions

Guest Bucky Childers

Approximately five (5) years ago our organization bestowed the honorary position of "Trustee Emeritus" upon an individual that had served for many years in various positions on our Board of Trustees. Heretofore, this individual has not been allowed to make motions, second motions, or vote. However, due to his experience he has been allowed to participate in discussions on all matters brought before the Board of Trustees. In my research, I can find nothing whereby the Board members that bestowed this honorary position upon this individual intended the honorary position be allowed to make motions, second motions, and/or vote.

Recently the individual provided me a copy of some language from some unknown revision of Roberts Rules of Orders that state that if he is a current member he should be afforded the rights as all other trustees duly elected by the membership.

Our Code of Regulations state specifically the configuration of the Board of Trustees and his position is not mentioned in the Regulations.

While his advise and counsel is welcomed I feel that since his position is not mentioned in our Code of Regulations he should not be afforded the opportunity to vote, make motions or second motions.

He has asked me to rule on the matter being President of the Board of Trustees.

Thoughts and comments?

And your question is...?

Anticipating a possible one: If the position is not defined or described in your bylaws (same as "Regulations"?) then it simply doesn't exits and your "honorary member" is just a (presumably welcome) guest at your meetings, with no rights whatsoever.

Have him/her produce the Robert's citation (and the book, as well); he may be confusing "membership" with "honorary membership" -- not the same thing, particularly since, in your case, the latter doesn't exist.

I feel that since his position is not mentioned in our Code of Regulations he should not be afforded the opportunity to vote, make motions or second motions.

Well, assuming he's not really a member of the board, he still could (by suspending the rules) be permitted to make motions and speak in debate but under no circumstances could he be permitted to vote.

As for seconds, if your board of trustees is a "small" board, with not more than about a dozen members present, seconds are not required.

Our Code of Regulations state specifically the configuration of the Board of Trustees and his position is not mentioned in the Regulations.

While his advise and counsel is welcomed I feel that since his position is not mentioned in our Code of Regulations he should not be afforded the opportunity to vote, make motions or second motions.

He has asked me to rule on the matter being President of the Board of Trustees.

Thoughts and comments?

If the position is not specified in your bylaws as being member of the board, then the "emeritus" designation is strictly an honorary title, and gives him no rights at meetings, beyond that of any other guest:

He may, if a majority of board members agree, attend meetings, quietly.

He may, if a majority of board members agree, speak at meetings while no motion is pending.

He may, if two thirds of board members agree to Suspend the Rules that would otherwise prohibit it, speak in debate while a motion is pending. (This might include making or seconding motions, but I wouldn't swear to it.)

He may NOT vote, not even by unanimous consent.

Archived