The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Capitalization

Guest Theresa

I was told that the first and last name of every person at the meeting has to be typed each time it is used. I always thought once attendance has been taken, you could just use the person's first name in the minutes unless there is 2 people with the same first name. Could you please let me know which way is proper?

Could you please let me know which way is proper?

It's entirely up to your organization but I'd say that "first names only" is too informal. So you might want to refer to Mr. Smith and Ms. Jones unless there are two members with the same last name in which case you could refer to Mr. J. Smith and Ms. L. Jones.

But note, too, that there is no attendance requirement in RONR and, therefore, no need to take attendance. So you're only likely to be recording these names as the makers of motion in the minutes.

Is it, in your view, simply a suggestion by example (as Mr. Novosielski describes)?

Yes, it's a suggestion by example.

I wouldn't expect members of the proverbial "small dog club" to refer to other members so formally during a meeting but I think a certain formality in the minutes is worth preserving. On the other hand, if the small dog club wants to record that "Sam Jones" (not "Mr. Jones") made a motion, I don't think the world will end.

Archived