The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mover of Roll Call Vote

Guest Ariel

In the minutes how is the mover of a roll call vote reflected??

Main Motion : That xyz receive $1,000 for their project"

Moved by Curt and Seconded by Alice "That a roll call vote be called" - Carried

Ayes: Curt, Alice

Nays: Doug

In other words to you include the motion requesting a roll call vote in the minutes??

RONR (11th ed. p. 469, ll.13-14) states that minutes should contain "all main motions or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly", and p. 470, ll.1-3, also includes "secondary motions... in cases where it is necessary to record them for completeness or clarity...". A motion to vote by roll call would seem to be a procedural motion that does not fit into the criteria above, especially since the results of the roll call vote appear in the minutes. So, I would say no, the motion to vote by roll call, and the name of its maker, is not included in the minutes.

Incidentally, the names of seconders are never included in the minutes.

RONR (11th ed. p. 469, ll.13-14) states that minutes should contain "all main motions or motions to bring a main question again before the assembly", and p. 470, ll.1-3, also includes "secondary motions... in cases where it is necessary to record them for completeness or clarity...". A motion to vote by roll call would seem to be a procedural motion that does not fit into the criteria above, especially since the results of the roll call vote appear in the minutes. So, I would say no, the motion to vote by roll call, and the name of its maker, is not included in the minutes.

Incidentally, the names of seconders are never included in the minutes.

Also, a motion to take a roll-call vote, moved while no other motion is pending is an example of an incidental main motion. Under that circumstance, it would be recorded in the minutes.

Looking at all of p. 470, ll. 1-10, it seems that the minutes should allude to an adopted incidental motion to take a roll call vote. The example in lines 9-10 is to include "... a ballot vote having been ordered, the tellers...." One could easily see how this is applicable to a roll call vote: "... a roll call vote having been ordered, the secretary...." But the name of the maker (of the motion to take the vote by roll call) is not included in this statement.

As Steven pointed out, however, if the motion to take a roll call vote is made when no motion is pending, then the motion is included in the minutes (along with the name of the maker), just as for any main motion.

Looking at all of p. 470, ll. 1-10, it seems that the minutes should allude to an adopted incidental motion to take a roll call vote.

"In roll-call voting, a record of how each member voted, as well as the result of the vote, should be entered in full in the journal or minutes." (RONR, 11th ed. p.422, ll. 9-11). It seems to me that with this requirement, the minutes will certainly "allude to an adopted incidental motion to take a roll call vote." I did note this in my response above.

"In roll-call voting, a record of how each member voted, as well as the result of the vote, should be entered in full in the journal or minutes." (RONR, 11th ed. p.422, ll. 9-11). It seems to me that with this requirement, the minutes will certainly "allude to an adopted incidental motion to take a roll call vote." I did note this in my response above.

Not necessarily; the organization could have some sort of rule that automatically "triggers" a roll-call vote. I'm a member and currently secretary for such an organization. Under those circumstances, the inference would be different. "In accordance to board policy, a roll-call vote was taken."

Archived