The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions as recorded in the minutes

jjefferies

Hello all,

My first post on a minor question of procedure. I searched the archive but possibly didn't phrase my question correctly for the search engine.

But should the minutes include the name(s) of those making a motion and those seconding? And should that information be a part of the published, i.e. public record, minutes of the meeting?

RONR has no requirement that any minutes be published or made a public record. Does some other rule applying to your organization require it?

Gary, thanks for the prompt response.

The organization's by-laws call for the reading of the previous meeting's minutes but does not specify that the minutes should be posted. By "tradition", however, they are posted on the organization's website for the membership (should any be so inclined). Which in itself is interesting as it now appears that the website is forming the institutional memory of the organization. Any number of years of previous minutes on paper have been lost and it often seems that the rationale of certain operations comes down to that is the way we've always done it, i.e. it was voted into being in the misty past.

I hit my head on the doorpost whenever I leave the house, because that's the way I've always done it, but someone with blood spatters recently made an intriguing suggestion.

Yes but do you have memory of the details of how you hit your head? Suggest a website as one way of recording such and broadcasting to others in your cohort. BTW, do you know there are organizations which keep a record of what's posted?

Archived