The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President doubling as Chair of major committee?

Louise

Is there anything in RONR that would prohibit the President from chairing an important committee simply because he is an ex-officio member?

An ex-officio member of what? The committee?

In any case. the answer is "no".

The only committee that RONR says the president should have nothing to do with is the nominating committee (and, in fact, the president is often made an ex-officio member of all other committees so he'll have a right to attend their meetings if he chooses to do so).

An ex-officio member of what? The committee?

In any case. the answer is "no".

The only committee that RONR says the president should have nothing to do with is the nominating committee (and, in fact, the president is often made an ex-officio member of all other committees so he'll have a right to attend their meetings if he chooses to do so).

I thought that would be the answer.

And I apologize for the ambiguity. Yes, as President, he is an ex officio member of the Important CommitteeTM (as per our Bylaws...and yes, our Bylaws also state that he does not get to be a part of the Nominating Committee), and of every other committee.

So if nothing is happening on this Important CommitteeTM because the President is too busy (too busy, arguably, to even be doing the President stuff), then would it be in order for someone on the Board to make a motion at the next meeting that someone else take over the chairing of said committee?

Well, I'm not sure why the board would be involved. Whose important committee is this?

The Board strikes the committees on behalf of the Association (for the most part).

The Association could overrule the Board if it became necessary, but in this case, it won't. (Y'know, being a Very Important Committee and all...)

Archived