The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confidentiality

Guest Jrksftball

They are stating that it is a confidentiality agreement that they cannot release this information so when asked if we could receive a copy of the confidentiality agreement (blank of course) that stated Robert Rules so confidentiality as the reason they couldn't release this to us either! Is this true? I asked for the rule and now they aren't responding to any emails! Someone please help!!!!

They are stating that it is a confidentiality agreement that they cannot release this information so when asked if we could receive a copy of the confidentiality agreement (blank of course) that stated Robert Rules so confidentiality as the reason they couldn't release this to us either! Is this true? I asked for the rule and now they aren't responding to any emails! Someone please help!!!!

Well, I don't know about the confidentiality agreement - that sounds like a question for a lawyer. But here's what Robert's Rules has to say on this subject...

Firstly, I imagine this meeting was held in executive (or closed) session, as disciplinary meetings generally are. If so, then no individual member may choose to leak any information from the meeting to non-members of the assembly, but if the assembly chooses to divulge some information by majority vote, that's fine. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 95-96 for more information on executive session.

Secondly, RONR has some specific notes about confidentiality for disciplinary proceedings. It notes that no information should be disclosed outside the society except that if a member is expelled or an officer is removed from office, that fact (and only that fact) may be disclosed to the extent necessary to protect the society and other organizations. There is no restriction, however, on disclosing the information within the society, which is governed by the society's own rules, customs, and common sense, as well as the general rules pertaining to executive session. Thus, who filed the grievance matters a great deal - whether he was a member of the assembly which handled the grievance, a member of the society, or a member of the general public.

Lastly, the society's own rules regarding its grievance process may say something on this matter, and procedural rules in applicable law may also come into play, but such questions are beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

My husband is a member and filed a grievance against another member who is also a board member, I filed a grievance against the same person but we are both being told we can't know the outcome of the person we filed against because of confidentiality. So when we asked for the confidentiality agreement they stated we couldn't have a copy of that due to Robert Rules of Confidentiality so I just don't know what the rule is on this or if this is a valid statement

Mr. Martin explained what RONR says on the subject pretty well. I will add that there is no such thing as "Robert Rules of Confidentiality" and while there might be some valid rule they can cite in denying you the information they need to show you that rule rather than just claiming there is a rule in place (and if they refuse to give you the info or show you the rule you should take your case to the General Membership).

Have you tried reading the minutes of the meeting when the grievance was considered (you would have a right to read the minutes of any meeting of a body for which you are a member of)? Depending on how in depth the minutes are you might be able to figure out (or least get the gist of) what happened (or maybe not).

My husband is a member and filed a grievance against another member who is also a board member, I filed a grievance against the same person but we are both being told we can't know the outcome of the person we filed against because of confidentiality. So when we asked for the confidentiality agreement they stated we couldn't have a copy of that due to Robert Rules of Confidentiality so I just don't know what the rule is on this or if this is a valid statement

"Robert's Rules of Confidentiality" is not a thing, and no, this is not a valid statement. Based on the information you have provided, it seems your husband is a member of the society (and possibly you are as well), but it seems you are not members of the assembly which handled the grievance (correct me if I am wrong). If this is the case, it is that assembly's decision whether to share the information with you. RONR neither requires nor prohibits it. It's possible that something prohibits them from disclosing this information (the confidentiality agreement they mentioned, the society's own rules for grievances, applicable law), but it certainly isn't RONR,

Archived