The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Darrell

Our bylaws require a minimum quorum of six board members to conduct business and requires that meetings be conducted under Robert's Rules. The board has decided that a majority vote by those present would allow a motion to pass or be defeated. Under this misguided scenario, a minimum of four votes would be needed of the six present. Can any one quote me the exact chapter and verse in Robert's Rules that speaks to this? I know that a quorum must be present and that voting is tabulated only on the premise of those present and voting. Example: If six members were present and only one vote was actually cast (5 abstaining) the motion would have passed or failed by majority vote of one.

What in your opinion makes it a 'misguided scenario'? Many boards use a majority vote, including the one I serve on, and we don't view it as misguided.

Darrell's board mistakenly bases its voting requirement on the number of member present, not the RONR default rule of present and voting.

Our bylaws require a minimum quorum of six board members to conduct business and requires that meetings be conducted under Robert's Rules. The board has decided that a majority vote by those present would allow a motion to pass or be defeated. Under this misguided scenario, a minimum of four votes would be needed of the six present. Can any one quote me the exact chapter and verse in Robert's Rules that speaks to this? I know that a quorum must be present and that voting is tabulated only on the premise of those present and voting. Example: If six members were present and only one vote was actually cast (5 abstaining) the motion would have passed or failed by majority vote of one.

RONR (11th ed.) p. 4 ll. 3-9 defines majority vote.

Archived