The Official RONR Q & A Forums

TIME NEEDED BEFORE A MOTION MAY BE DEBATED

Guest Pete

Sorry if this has been addressed- I tried searching with no luck. Question: Must a motion be "held over" for a set period of time before debate may be engaged and a vote taken? Background: Our organization requires that a motion must be "tabled" for 30 days before discussion maY take place and a vote taken. The organization bylaws are silent as to this and there are no Standing Rules to this effect. The reason given is that: "Roberts Rules require it." I can't find it in RRNR. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been addressed- I tried searching with no luck. Question: Must a motion be "held over" for a set period of time before debate may be engaged and a vote taken? Background: Our organization requires that a motion must be "tabled" for 30 days before discussion maY take place and a vote taken. The organization bylaws are silent as to this and there are no Standing Rules to this effect. The reason given is that: "Roberts Rules require it." I can't find it in RRNR. Thanks.

You can't find it because there is no such rule in RONR.

No, it's complete nonsense.

Archived