The Official RONR Q & A Forums

pioneer461

Our non-profit HOA is approaching our annual shareholder meeting. The Bylaws specify an agenda for the annual meeting and one agenda item is "Call the roll." They do not specify either the entire roll of all members, or the roll of those present. We use a sign in sheet to document a quorum, does anyone know if the sign in sheet can be used, by a motion / vote, as a roll call?

Thanks

Attendance recording is entirely up to your association. RONR does not address it.

I thought the question was whether the roll consists of all the members of the association or just those present at the meeting. I'd say an argument could be made for either interpretation.

I thought the question was whether the roll consists of all the members of the association or just those present at the meeting. I'd say an argument could be made for either interpretation.

Yup, that was my question. It isn't so much attendance, but whom do we call when we call the roll? I read elsewhere that if a motion were made to simply call the sign in sheet, that would work.

It isn't so much attendance, but whom do we call when we call the roll? I read elsewhere that if a motion were made to simply call the sign in sheet, that would work.

It seems to me that if you're going to simply read the sign-in sheet out loud, it's pretty much a waste of time. On the other hand, if you've got a sign-in sheet, there's really no reason to call the roll (which would involve reading the entire membership roster to see who's present and who's not).

So I'd say skip the sign-in sheet altogether and call the roll as required. Or change the rule that requires calling the roll and just use a sign-in sheet.

It seems to me that if you're going to simply read the sign-in sheet out loud, it's pretty much a waste of time. On the other hand, if you've got a sign-in sheet, there's really no reason to call the roll (which would involve reading the entire membership roster to see who's present and who's not).

So I'd say skip the sign-in sheet altogether and call the roll as required. Or change the rule that requires calling the roll and just use a sign-in sheet.

Rather than read the sign-sheet, treat the specification in the bylaw agenda as a rule of order, clearly identiable in the bylaws. Thus, suspend the rule and use the sign-in sheet. This can be done by a two-thirds vote, or better yet through unanimous consent. See p. 17

However, I would caution, you should check with a qualified legal expert before attempting this. There may be something in non-profit or HOA statutes that would not allow you to do it.

Archived