The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording Roll Call in the Minutes

Elise23

I don't think RONR specifies how to call roll or how to record it, but I could use some advice. I was recently elected Secretary of an organization. Roll call is always at the beginning of the agenda, and I typically mark any attendees who come in after roll call as late with an L next to their name in minutes.

Those who are often late really dislike this L by their names in the minutes, though it has no negative effect on membership. I need an alternative solution that will still identify (and possibly shame) latecomers and make a record in the minutes of the lateness. It would also be helpful to have some formal means of adding names after roll has been called since it is a large organization and hard to tell who is coming and going from the meeting while I am taking minutes.

A friend suggested that members should be required to formally move that they be added to minutes as present if they come in late and after roll call. Thoughts and other suggestions?

I concur with Chris - there is no difference whether or not the member arrived on time or late according to RONR. However, I do question why you want to 'shame' these members? People are sometimes going to be late due to other commitments (i.e. work, school, etc.) or issues outside their control (i.e. traffic, weather.) And as long as the person is attending the meeting, then be happy.

As for how to list it, Chris is correct still - check with other organizations. However, they are not attending school, so my personal suggestion would simply to indicate who attended the meeting and who did not, regardless of when the person arrives.

However, I have seen organizations that will enter when a member arrived, or departed, a meeting - they do that for my city council. However, they also put a bit more information then needed anyway - but it helps and at the top of the Minutes, there is a list of the Mayor and Councillors in attendance, with a not of when they arrived or departed.

Archived