The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion - Resignation

YFaure

The member can offer the resignation verbally at a meeting (unless the bylaws require it be in writing) or if the member has submitted it in writing and isn't at the meeting (or screamed that they quit and storm out of the room) another member can move that the resignation be accepted. See RONR pp. 289-292.

When a member wants to declare his/her resignation, is there a certain motion that the officer would need to state or would a simple announcement of the resignation do? And if there is a motion, what kind is it? Main, subsidiary, etc

A Request to be Excused from a Duty is an incidental motion, which is covered by RONR (11th ed.), section 32.

You seem to have jumped from member to officer. For the case of a resignation from membership in particular, see p. 291, l. 27 - p. 292, l. 10.

A Request to be Excused from a Duty is an incidental motion, which is covered by RONR (11th ed.), section 32.

You seem to have jumped from member to officer. For the case of a resignation from membership in particular, see p. 291, l. 27 - p. 292, l. 10.

Sorry for the wording. The officer and member are the same thing in this case. Board Member* Executive Officer*

But I understand it should be in writing. My question was more in regards to when the officer stands up to be recognized by the chair, does he make a motion of some sort, or just announce the resignation and give in the letter?

My question was more in regards to when the officer stands up to be recognized by the chair, does he make a motion of some sort, or just announce the resignation and give in the letter?

It would be fine for him to simply hand his resignation letter to the secretary or president, or even just stand up and say "I resign".

The chair, on reading or announcing the resignation, can assume a motion "that the resignation be accepted." (RONR 11, p. 291 ll. 7-9)

Sorry for the wording. The officer and member are the same thing in this case. Board Member* Executive Officer*

But I understand it should be in writing. My question was more in regards to when the officer stands up to be recognized by the chair, does he make a motion of some sort, or just announce the resignation and give in the letter?

"A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing. By submitting a resignation, the member is, in effect, requesting to be excused from a duty. The chair, on reading or announcing the resignation, can assume a motion 'that the resignation be accepted.'" - RONR (11th ed.), p. 291, ll. 3-9.

Archived