The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Donnie

WE just held our elections. Some members were absent and sent in absentee votes by cell phone. I objected to this procedure but the president allowed it. I need to know if Roberts Rules say anywhere that it is not allowed. Common since says so but I need it to be in the rules

WE just held our elections. Some members were absent and sent in absentee votes by cell phone. I objected to this procedure but the president allowed it. I need to know if Roberts Rules say anywhere that it is not allowed. Common since says so but I need it to be in the rules

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 423, ll. 17-23. Absentee voting is not allowed, unless expressly authorized in the bylaws or a higher governing document.

Guest Donald Watrobski

We have a two year term on most of our officers that are elected. (some are appointed). The election is held at our Annual meeting held on the 2nd Thursday in December. In the previous month we have nominations to these offices that we elect in December. If a vacancy occurs during the term prior to its completion, can we at a Special Meeting held for this purpose, hold nominations and have the election at the same meeting so that the vacant position is filled more expeditiously?

Guest Donald Watrobski

We have a two year term on most of our officers that are elected. (some are appointed). The election is held at our Annual meeting held on the 2nd Thursday in December. In the previous month we have nominations to these offices that we elect in December. If a vacancy occurs during the term prior to its completion, can we at a Special Meeting held for this purpose, hold nominations and have the election at the same meeting so that the vacant position is filled more expeditiously?

If your bylaws provide for Special Meetings and if your bylaws do not have other provisions for filling the vacancy, you can. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 291, ll. 14-25 & p. 467, l. 25 - p. 468, l. 8. Notice is a requirement for both special meetings and filling vacancies in office.

Archived